(NOTE: This is the 2nd time I’m writing this…power went out a while ago and my work was all gone -_-)
Kitten’s Top 10, that is. I really don’t want to put them in order because it doesn’t necessarily mean I like one over the other…sometimes they’re just equal…and sometimes the whole order changes! Except for #1 & #2 I guess. DBZ just has a LOT of likeable characters ^^
- Son Gohan – Don’t remember when exactly I fell in love with the Son’s firstborn. I just know he’s my favorite DBZ character, and that I love all incarnations of him. There are so many things to love about him. But perhaps it’s because he’s kind of a foil to Goku and the rest of the Z Senshi, being the strong one and yet not really wanting to fight. There’s also his cuteness, his definite intelligence (THANK YOU Chi-Chi!), his dorkiness in high school (Oh I love this~), his “I don’t understand girls” and yet his gentleness is an instant turn-on LOL (just see how he’s around Videl!) and of course, his love for friends and family. Crap, I forgot to mention: SSJ2. ‘Nuff said. XD
- Juuhachigou (Artificial Human #18) – Out of respect for her, I translated jinzouningen as such. I love #18; she is my absolute favorite female DBZ character. She is just so…badass. And yet so beautiful and sexy. She breaks hearts…and arms. XD But what really warms my heart is that she settled down with Kuririn, and that it’s really obvious that she loves her family. Kuririn’s so lucky, ne? But I don’t think #18 thinks that way, which makes me love her more.
- Vegetto – Most people would never expect this. Vegetto’s not easily remembered too, being in only one saga and such. And isn’t he just the fusion of Goku and Vegeta? Well, being the “perfect” fusion of two great personalities is definitely a winner. Vegetto is handsome, powerful, smart…and I love him for baiting Super Buu in that cocky yet cute way. Not to mention that double voice which combines two of the best seiyuu. I’m well aware that Gogeta is more or less the same but I find every aspect of Vegetto more favorable: from his name to his hair to his outfit.
- Son Goten – It’s not difficult to see that the Buu saga is my favorite saga ever, ne? And Son Goten just gives me more reasons to love it. Just hearing him say “Oniichan! Kakkoii!” is enough to send me squealing. He is just so darn cute! His innocence, while endearing because it’s a mirror of Goku as a kid, is also his own I believe. Whereas 12-year-old Goku was a bit brash (I’m watching the original series again so the memory’s kinda fresh), Goten is shyer than his father. I guess Chi-Chi raised her sons pretty well, giving them this “gentleness”.
- Son Goku – Wow, now it’s obvious that the Son family is my favorite family! But who wouldn’t love the hero of it all? I know there are Goku haters out there (weirdos) and some people who see Goku only as an “idiotic bumpkin.” Well folks, I beg to differ. Goku’s much more than that. In fact, analyzing Goku (what motivates him, how he thinks) is one of my pastimes…too bad he gives me a headache sometimes because Goku is just too unique of a person. (And that’s also why he’s not higher in the list. XD) He’s special, and face it, he’s a worldwide icon. And without Goku, we have no Dragon Ball. =P
- Chi-Chi – And the circle is complete. Yes, I’m a Chi-Chi fan. I marvel at Crafts & Meister’s decision to add her to Super DBZ. Whereas #18 holds the top spot for strongest female, Chi-Chi is the original one. She’s beautiful…and deadly. I know most people fall for Bulma but that’s because Chi-Chi intimidates them! I think Chi-Chi is more beautiful. And she’s strong too, in other ways…like keeping the family alive when Goku’s away. There are people who hate her for “forcing Gohan to study always” and “treating Goku like dirt”, but we should give her some slack. She might be strong, but she loves (and worries about) her family too much – and what the Son men are often doing is enough to give any normal mother a heart attack.
- Piccolo – Ah, it’s the Green Man! And forgive me for using the word “badass” for the umpteenth time, but that’s because it’s a term which really defines the essence of “Mr.” Piccolo (Pikkoro-san for Gohan ^^) The best thing about Piccolo is that you can count on him for everything. Whether it’s giving you a great fight, looking cool, keeping the world at peace, babysitting the kids (mostly Goku’s), and dishing out the comic relief. Honestly, these Nameks do everything it’s a wonder why these Saiyajins are the ones running the show. Maybe it’s because they prefer to stay in the back, so they can steal the spotlight XD
- Vegeta – Whoa! Why is Vegeta so low in the list? XD Most people have him at #1, but not me, hehe. I honestly do like Vegeta’s line…it’s not like I dislike them just because I prefer the Son family more. As I said, there are so many likeable characters in DBZ. Anyway, Vegeta (same as Piccolo) is another one of those “evil turned good” characters. Which makes him all the more interesting, because it’s so nice to watch his character develop throughout the series. The countless fics about Vegeta-gets-together-with-Bulma is already evidence of it (and thank you Toriyama-sensei and Toei for not bothering to explain it…bleh!) Yes, Vegeta’s arrogance is a turn-on, but for me…what I like best about him is his brains. Many have said Vegeta’s a tactician. Too bad he shows this infrequently because he’s always mad ^^; The best example of him using his brains is the final fight with Kid Buu. I think it was Vegeta’s planning which made me love that fight…I don’t see that side of him often.
- Gotenks – Okay, just list down every single character from the Buu saga and be done with it already! :P Like Vegetto, Gotenks is a mixture of two great personalities – but this one has a streak of mischievousness. Man, why wouldn’t you LOVE Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack? But the best one would probably be baiting Piccolo to destroy the door of the Room of Spirit and Time. That really, really cracked me up. Years ago I once thought of how Gotenks would make a pretty cool boyfriend, especially if he was head-over-heels in love with you. Because…he’s just plain weird. XD Imagine all of the stuff he’d think of for you. It’s not Goten or Trunks. It’s Gotenks!
- Trunks – AIEEEE! I’m cheating here. I planned to separate Future Trunks from the Present Trunks. And this is supposed to be Present (Chibi) Trunks, but I guess Future Trunks deserves a spot too. I’m just interested in Chibi Trunks more because everyone and their mother loves Future Trunks anyway. Chibi Trunks doesn’t get too much love. But this version of Trunks is the source of the naughtiness of Gotenks. He’s a spoiled brat, but has the power and the smarts to back up his arrogant attitude. It’s so fascinating to see the difference between him and his future counterpart (ex. how they view Goku.) Although Goku and Gohan (and of a lesser extent, Vegeta and FUTURE Trunks) are the original father-son duo, the dynamic between Trunks and Vegeta is also great. Ahhh there’s so much I can say about Trunks but I’ll cut it short for now.
It’s too bad it’s only a Top 10, because there are other characters whom I like too. I just don’t think of them that much as the ones above ^^ But here are the honorable mentions:Kuririn, Dende, Juunanagou, Kaio-sama (LOL), Videl, Cell (SAY WHAT!?), Mr. Popo
And since I’m currently watching Dragon Ball, there are some characters there whom I’ve just recently realized I really like. Such as: Yamcha, Oolong, and…*drumroll* Emperor Pilaf (LOLOLOL. I’m serious.)